Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The Church Girl's Guide to Fasting Day 3: Scriptures and Bible Study


    As I progress into Day 3 of this fasting series, I have found myself reading more and cutting out all of social media that has nothing to do with the blog and all TV. My desire to see God and develop a closer relationship with him has grown stronger! I find myself wanting to me more Christ-Like and wanting to push myself further in a fast than I have ever gone. My main primary focus is God and not me because everything I need is in God, everything I want is in God. My purpose is in God, my will is in God. As I seek God, I know that is where my blessing lies.
   I am so excited about the place that God is taking me and I take it as an honor to be able to share with you all my insights on such an amazing subject. Today we are going to look at some scripture references about fasting and really understand why fasting is an act that is imperative for our mind, body and spirit during our walk with Christ. We are not going to touch on every scripture, however, we are going to get an understanding of fasting through the word of God.

Daniel
   In the book of Daniel, the "Daniel Fast" was introduced to us. As stated in the last post, Daniel a palace assistant was taken into captivity to and trained for service. Daniel refused to eat of the kings table because he did not want to lose sight of God. Daniel and "his three friends" took part in eating nothing but fruits and vegetables. Daniel was faithful to his fast and because of this he was blessed by God.
But Daniel resolved that he would not defile himself with the king's food, or with the wine that he drank. Therefore he asked the chief of the eunuchs to allow him not to defile himself. And God gave Daniel favor and compassion in the sight of the chief of the eunuchs, and the chief of the eunuchs said to Daniel, “I fear my lord the king, who assigned your food and your drink; for why should he see that you were in worse condition than the youths who are of your own age? So you would endanger my head with the king.” Then Daniel said to the steward whom the chief of the eunuchs had assigned over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah, “Test your servants for ten days; let us be given vegetables to eat and water to drink.
                                                                                                             -Daniel 1:8-14 ESV

Jesus
   Jesus. Our Lord, Our Savior, My Homeboy. (haha). Jesus fasted in the wilderness for 40 days and 40 nights being tempted my Satan and prevailing through it all. (Matthew 4:4; 4:5-7 and also Matthew 4:8-11). Jesus teaches us here in these scriptures that we should know and stand on the word of God during temptation. This chapter really taught me so much about fasting. We find ourselves being tempted like Jesus but some of us cannot react the way Jesus reacted because we either (Do not read and study our Bible, we do not pray, or we do not fast to resist fleshly desires. ) Now I am not saying I am not perfect. I have partaken in a sin, but I am forgiven and God has allowed me to realize that some things you have to pray and fast about.
..this kind goes out not but by prayer and fasting.
                                                                        -Matthew 17:21 KJV

Let's take a look into what else Jesus says about fasting

And when you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, that your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
                                                                                                                    -Matthew 6:16-18 ESV

Praying for God's Will
    Here in the chapter of Acts we find Paul at the, beginning of his ministry, fasting for the will of God.
 Now there were in the church at Antioch prophets and teachers, Barnabas, Simeon who was called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen a member of the court of Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.” Then after fasting and praying they laid their hands on them and sent them off.
                                                                                                                          -Acts 13:1-3
I hope this helps you all understand the idea of fasting and praying. Here are a few more scriptures for your studying.

Scriptures
Psalm 35:13
Luke 9:23-35
Matthew 26:41 (Why we have to strengthen our spirit) 
Ezra 8;21


Much Love and God Bless
~Crystal

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...