Tuesday, October 7, 2014

The Church Girl's Guide to Fasting: Day 2




Today is day two of the fasting series and I can already feel a change in myself. I woke up before my alarm clock rang and knew that it was time for me to pray. I am so excited about what God has in store for me and all of you! Today we will focus on the types of fast, and when to fast. 

I read Radical Fasting by Dave Williams when I was a teenager and his book gave me so much insight on fasting. I mentioned in a previous post that I was brought up in a church that believed heavily on fasting and praying. I can not say that I am an expert on fasting, however, I have fasted long enough to know that it is life changing. I also read Fasting by Jentezen Franklin and I can honestly say that the two books really gave great insight on the types of fasts. 

Types of Fasts
  • Corporate Fast- This is when the leader of a church or family calls a fast for the cleansing of the "body" (Not the physical body but the body of Christ). I remember my pastor would establish a corporate fast at the beginning of every year and I would always stuff myself with whatever I could because I knew for 21 days my favorites would be out of the question. This was before I was educated on what fasting was really about.
  • Individual Fasts- This is a fast that can be declared for personal reasons
    • Total "Full" Fast- To go without liquids or water for an established amount of days.
    • Partial Fast- To fast a certain period of the day. Jentezen Franklin says from about 6:00 a.m until 3:00 p.m but because I know that I am a late night or early morning eater I chose to fast from midnight until noon because I know that this is when I would be the most challenged. 
    • Daniels Fast- The prophet Daniel was put into captivity Babylon, he chose not to eat the pleasant foods of the Kings table. He went without breads, wine, and meats for three weeks ( Daniel 10:3)  This fast calls for a person to give up certain foods like meats, sweets and breads only being able to consume fruits, vegetables, water and juice. 
It is important to choose a fast that will not be necessarily "easy" for you. Learning to consecrate your flesh and bring it into submission is an important part of resisting temptation and the breaking of yokes. 

I pray that what ever fast that you choose throughout your life allows you to experience breakthroughs that you have never experienced before.

Scripture References and added readings
Daniel 10:3
Matthew 6:16-18
Matthew 9:14-15

Much Love and God Bless
~Crystal 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...